Friday, April 17, 2009

Bad Updater Bad!

So I've been a blog bum.

I've discovered that it's hard to come up with original content ride after ride when it's just slooooow progress on the same things.

Things we're working on (besides our collective general fitness. And by our, I mean me. Bubba is in much better shape than I am.)

My hands need work. They are either too fast or too slow. Sometimes I get it right. The Pretzel has made a big difference and remembering to be soft and progressive has helped a lot. It's almost like he's a different horse. Just the collection at the lope is amazing. I'm kicking myself in the butt for not using it sooner. I had it, I just needed some direction.

Other than my hands, I'm working on getting Bubba to stand up in a circle and reach with his inside front leg. We walk and trot small circles and when he starts to collapse on the front end, I reverse arc away and get him stood back up. It also keeps him light off my hands which is an added bonus.

It's slow progress but at least it's progress.

We might get to make a practice run tomorrow in an actual arena. My farrier invited me down to a friend of his' spread, complete with manicured arena ground. I'm hoping to get a run in, whether competition or not. Not sure when the next actual barrel race is going to be. There's a race Sunday in Marianna but I've never been to that pen and I'm hesitant to drive that far if it's a crappy pen. If not Sunday, then it won't be until the NBHA in Blountstown in May. Never been there either but the points are an added draw.

I'm starting to go a little stir crazy. I feel like I've made so much progress as a rider (love you Ed!) but I'm super super nervous that I'll leave my brain at the gate. I'm working on my "I'll cross that bridge when I get there." attitude.

Most of the really nasty mud has dried up here, just your average mud puddles now. My part of North Florida set a new 100 year flood plain from all the rain we had. Some places are still underwater and every river (Suwannee, Ochlocknee, Aucilla, Apalachicola, etc.) is still at flood stage. Mother Nature don't play.

No comments:

Post a Comment