Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Early Stages of Withdrawal

FINALLY got back on my horse this afternoon. My life has been crazy crazy lately and I'm ready for it to calm the f down. Between both jobs, school, and family, Bubba got put on a back burner.

But not anymore!

I raced the sun on the way home. I got home about 630, practically ran Bubba out of the pasture and into the trailer. I was ready to ride!!

And o my goodness everything was waaaay more interesting to Bubba than I was. I thought I was going to have to long trot him for days before he would tune back in to me. We long trotted, we turned circles, we reverse arc'd, we did some transitions. And only after all that was his attention finally back on me and not ever leaf that fell out of every tree. It was driving me nuts!

Once he was in a working frame of mind, I loped him through the pattern, really trying to focus on my hands and keeping his body shaped around the second barrel. I think he has some memory of that second barrel that hurt or scared him. If I approach the first barrel as a second, his turn is beautiful. Collected and snappy. But the actual second barrel, in the spot that it is carries some scary memory for him because he flattens those ribs, drops his shoulder and bows out on the backside if I don't really work on keeping him shaped and stood up.

I moved the barrels and miraculously our second barrel improved. Horses are funny creatures.

After I loped him through and moved the barrels, I worked on his "lightness" in the mouth, breaking off the barrel into a reverse arc. It really gets him stood up and light in my hands. The first time is usually not pretty at all but by the second or third he's starting to get it. (That's improvement by the way. It used to be the 5th or 6th time.)

I think my hands are starting to retain some muscle memory, at least at everything slower than a gallop (haven't tried that one yet). I was adjusting his body position with my hand, moving in, moving out, up, down, forward, backward. Our "accelarator, brake and steering wheel" are coming along. (BTW, have you read the bit article in this month's BHN? I swear I heard Ed's voice in the last section of that article.)

If the Money Gods allow, I might be able to haul down to Wacissa and make a run at Natural Bridge. They have little monthly jackpots there but the last one was canceled. I might be running against myself.

Also, good luck to Knottynuff Stock Farm. She's headed to Alberta on Thursday for the first futurity of the season. Run Parker Run!

No comments:

Post a Comment