Saturday, April 4, 2009

It's Coming Back

It finally stopped raining long enough for me to dig out the trailer, dig out the pile of mud that halfway resembles a horse and go for a ride.

Using the ideas and techniques we learned from Ed of course.

I didn't really ride too long, maybe an hour. It really felt like August out there today. Hot hot hot and enough humidity to really make you sweat.

For what we did (which wasn't much I grant you), it was very good. I think I might have shortened my reins a little much (especially for loping circles, long trotting, etc.). He seems a bit stilted and needs some more encouragement to move forward, especially at the lope. Or I could just be used to old, slightly out of control, always a little too fast Bubba. Who knows? I think tomorrow (if I can dodge the storm clouds), I'm going to put my long reins on and see if that frees him up a little. I hope so. At times I felt like I was riding a rocking horse. We shall see. Always something to work on with us.

My riding wasn't great. I didn't feel all that connected to my horse. My hands got a little heavy (sorry Bubba) and every time he told on me. I really have to stay soft with that bit. My legs were a little too free for my liking and I just felt off today, not very well tuned in. Hopefully tomorrow and next week will be better. I think I'm going to pull a Chelsea and film myself loping circles tomorrow and see how we look. Video tells no lies. And the hood of the truck doesn't bitch quite as much as my usual videographer.

And, boy, do I have to keep my hand forward with that Pretzel. I fell back into old habits a little behind the first barrel bringing my hand back too far and, bless his evil soul, he stopped and rolled back, just like I was telling him to. The second time through I got my act together and we put together a really pretty pattern at the lope. Slow, but pretty. Our first barrel approach was beautiful. I think I waited a little late to cue him. I've got to work on my points some. The second barrel was a little squirrelly. I think my hand came back a little far and he stalled just a bit behind the barrel. I ended up with my hand by his ears trying to keep him moving. I think lengthening my reins some will help. The crazy thing is I used to ride with them shorter than they are now. O how things have changed.

For the first time in a long time (and granted this is only after one short ride), I actually want to run my horse. I'm really excited to run without the dread-fear mixture I used to get. I feel in control. I can handle this. (Man that sounds like one of those New Age woo-woo affirmations.) I might be forced to find a barrel race weekend after next.

It's a nice feeling to have again.

No comments:

Post a Comment