Saturday, March 21, 2009

I Need a Sugar Daddy

Made it back from the vet yesterday about 5. I swear going to the vet is as much a social experience as it is a medical one. There were 2 ladies I run with there, one I knew and one I didn’t, getting their horses fixed up too and we chit chatted while Doc worked. Poor Doc kept saying he felt left out.

Once it was Bubba’s turn, we trotted him on the asphalt driveway behind the clinic. He didn’t show sore in the back end though his feet were a little ouchy on the asphalt. Then we headed to the grass, lunged him and flex tested him there. He showed very slight difference on the right after the flex. It was almost imperceptible but I watched his hip movement and saw it there.

Then it was x-ray time. Initially, Doc told me we could just inject his hocks and see if that made a difference (Love Doc. He was trying to save me some money.) but I opted to x-ray the right anyway. The relatively short time between injections made me question if it could be something else. So we x-rayed. I swear every time that x-ray machine beeped I heard Cha-Ching! LOL!

These x-rays were so much better than the ones we took in 07. They have gone digital and the detail is amazing! The arthritis and small bone spurs have grown some since 07, gotten a little “messier” on the x-ray. Doc said that he’s not surprised they’ve changed but they aren’t changing at an alarming rate. He IS 11 and has spent his entire life in Florida as a barrel horse. It would be weird if he wasn’t experiencing some hock pain. He said we can reevaluate in a year to a year and a half and see how it’s changed again.

So Bubba got injected, both sides on both hocks with the Good Stuff (HA). He’s off for a few days then he’ll get rode Wednesday and Thursday and it’s off to Ed on Friday.

The bill was a whole lot of money. 90% of my first ever tax return (I had to pay in the past few years) is going to that bill. Which really sucks because that money was going to pay off my last credit card. =( O well. I’ll just keep throwing money at it. One day it’ll be gone. If you really want to depress me, add up how much money I drop on my horse and then calculate how long it would take me to pay off my credit card debt with my horse money. Then I’ll go crawl under my desk and cry.

But, like I told Doc, peace of mind is worth my money.

Just remind me of that when I’m eating 0.89 pot pies for dinner every night.

No comments:

Post a Comment